- Caps must be black
- Tassles must be gold
- Graduates of any degree may wear mortarboard caps
- Ph.D., Ed.D., and D.Miss. graduates must wear the six-sided tam
- Beefeater tams are prohibited.
- Hood lining must bear official SBTS lining—red lining with three gold stripes
- Hood velvet corresponds to the discipline of the doctoral degree
- Ph.D. graduates may only Ph.D. blue
- D.Min. graduates may only wear red velvet
- D.Miss. graduates may only wear red velvet
- Ed.D. graduates may only wear light blue velvet
- All gowns must be black in color.
- Ph.D. Gowns must have Dark Blue (Fidelia Blue) velvet and chevrons with red piping.
- Ed.D. Gowns must have Light Blue velvet and chevrons with gold piping.
- D.Miss Gowns must have black velvet with no piping.
- No additional embroidery or piping on the gown is permissible.
- Colors correspond to the degree earned
- Philosophy = Blue
- Theology = Scarlet
- Education = Light Blue
- Music = Pink
- Thus, the Ph.D. has the widest range of colors available, and only they can wear the royal, deep blue color on any part of their regalia
- Gold is a neutral color accepted by the American Council on Education for use of piping the outside of the velvet panels, so anyone can wear i