The Advanced Master of Divinity in the School of Theology is an accelerated professional degree program for students who meet the following criteria:
- Earned a baccalaureate or Master of Arts degree in religion or biblical studies.
- Applicants must submit an academic paper of 12-15 pages in length written during undergraduate study as a research and writing sample.
- Students applying to the Advanced Master of Divinity are required to pass Greek and Hebrew placement exams. These exams cover Southern’s Elementary Greek & Hebrew language courses & can be completed at a distance with a proctor. To make arrangements for these placement tests, contact the Office of Student Success, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 502-897-4680 and let them know you are interested in completing language placement tests. The tests must be completed before applicants will be granted an admissions decision.
- Advanced M.Div. applicants must have a minimum of a 3.3 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale. Additionally, students must have completed at least 12 hours in biblical studies, 12 hours in history & theology, and 12 hours in biblical, ministerial, theological, or related electives at the undergraduate level. Only courses in which a grade of “B” or higher was achieved will be recognized.
- Students are also encouraged to have completed 3 hours each in ethics, philosophy, hermeneutics, preaching, elementary Hebrew, and elementary Greek.
- If students do not have these credits, they may complete them as prerequisites while enrolled in the Adv. M.Div. program.
- Only courses with a “B” or higher will be accepted for these requirements.