M.A. – Biblical Counseling
The Master of Arts in Biblical Counseling is designed to prepare students for a ministry of biblical counseling to individuals, couples, and families in a congregational, denominational agency, counseling center, or missions setting.
The degree is designed for non-pastoral staff members and other church leaders who seek to do a significant amount of counseling from the framework of a biblical counseling model. The degree blends academic and classroom preparation with practical training in a ministry setting. Students desiring to pursue D.Min. or Ph.D. studies should seek entry into the M.Div. with a Concentration in Biblical Counseling degree.
- Students will be able to demonstrate a growing, Christlike character and a sense of God’s calling to ministry.
- Students will be able to understand the Christian worldview and have a global vision for fulfilling the Great Commission.
- Students will be able to demonstrate significant knowledge of the Bible, interpret Scripture’s original meaning, and apply Scripture to contemporary situations.
- Students will be able to integrate systematic and historical theology into a larger biblical framework.
- Students will be able to demonstrate skill in the practice of biblical counseling.
- Biblical Counseling
- Marriage and Family Ministry
|31980||Written Communication (if required)u||(2)|
|Biblical/Theological Studies (30 hours)|
|20200||Introduction to the Old Testament I||3|
|20220||Introduction to the Old Testament II||3|
|22200||Introduction to the New Testament I||3|
|22220||Introduction to the New Testament II||3|
|26200||Southern Baptist Heritage and Mission||3|
|27060||Systematic Theology I||3|
|27070||Systematic Theology II||3|
|27080||Systematic Theology III||3|
|45260||Discipleship and Family Ministry||3|
|Biblical Counseling (21 hours)|
|34300||Introduction to Biblical Counseling||3|
|34305||Biblical and Theological Foundations for Counseling||3|
|35100||Marriage and Family Counseling||3|
|34330||Typical Problems in Biblical Counseling||3|
|34310||Essential Qualities of the Biblical Counselor||3|
|35530||Reformational Counseling Training I or|
|35585||Counseling Observations and Practicum||3|
|35540||Reformational Counseling Training II or|
|Total Master of Arts in Biblical Counseling
|• Written Communication (if required)||+2|
uSee Written Communication Requirement in Academic Section.