8-Week Hybrid & Online Terms
2018-2019 Online Learning
|Term||Dates||Add / Drop|
|Fall 1 (F1)||Aug. 6 – Sept. 30||Aug. 10|
|Break Week||Oct. 1 – 7|
|Fall 2 (F2)||Oct. 8 – Dec. 2||Oct. 8 / Oct. 12|
|Winter (WI)||Dec. 3 – Feb. 3||Dec. 3 / Dec. 7|
|Christmas Break: Dec. 24 – 30|
|Spring 1 (S1)||Feb. 4 – Mar. 31||Feb. 4 / Feb. 8|
|Break Week||Apr. 1 – 7|
|Spring 2 (S2)||Apr. 8 – Jun. 2||Apr. 8 / Apr. 12|
|Summer (SU)||Jun. 3 – Jul. 28||Jun. 3 / Jun. 7|
|Break Week||Jul. 29 – Aug. 4|
*Note on MD courses: On campus meeting days will occur on a Friday and Saturday in either the first, fourth, or eighth week of the term. Refer to MySBTS Registration to verify the dates of your particular class.
For 2019-2020 Online Learning dates, click here.
- All online (WW) and hybrid (MD) courses are offered in an 8-week format, with the exception of certain language courses, the online Preaching Practicum and the hybrid Applied Ministry.
- Hybrid and online language courses span 16 weeks; beginning the first day of one 8-week term and ending the last day of the following adjacent 8-week term. Always confirm start and end dates on the MySBTS course registration page, making sure the course’s end date meets any of your program deadlines, e.g., it is a required prerequisite, graduation, etc.
- The hybrid (MD) on-campus meeting times will occur on a Friday and Saturday in either the first, fourth, or eighth week of the term, unless otherwise noted. Check MySBTS for your on campus days and if you need further assistance with MySBTS check out this Students MySBTS Helps page.
- Fall WW and MD courses begin earlier than Fall on-campus courses, read and click the Important Dates link at the top of MySBTS; stay informed.
- The Hybrid and Online Winter semester (JA) will have 8 weeks of content, but span a total of 9 weeks due to a break week for Christmas.
- All student coursework must be completed within the 8-week term unless special circumstances have been discussed with professor.
- Students should plan for approximately 10 hours of coursework per week per 8-week course. The recommendation is to take one or two courses per 8-week term.
- The internet fee is non-refundable after the first day of any online learning course (WW and MD) in any term.
- Each online learning course will count as 3 credit hours(unless noted otherwise) and typical tuition rates apply.
- The ADD date for all online learning courses (WW and MD) is through 4 p.m. of first day of the term. Likewise, the DROP date is 4 p.m. Friday of the first week of the term, and must be handled by Academic Records. To drop, you must email email@example.com, providing your Student ID # and the course to be dropped. Always check the links located across the top of MySBTS Student Registration page for important information, e.g., tuition, fees, registration, start, add, drop, other academic dates, etc.
- Withdraw passing/failing date will be at the end of week 4 in each term.
Q: Will all Hybrid and Online classes be 8 weeks in length from now on?
A: Yes, with the exception of Languages and Applied Ministry.
Q: Will language classes be 8 weeks?
A: No, language classes (Greek and Hebrew) and Preaching Practicum are the only exception and will be 16 weeks in length.
Q: How many classes will I need to take per 8-week term to maintain full-time status?
A: You need to take 9 credit hours in the Fall and Spring semesters to maintain full-time student status (which are made up of two 8-week terms). It’s up to you to divide these hours between the 8-week terms and maintain the status required for any scholarships/financial assistance.
Q: Do I need to come to campus each time I take a Hybrid class?
A: Yes, each Hybrid class requires two days on campus.
Q: Do 8-week classes cost more?
A: No, normal tuition fees apply.
Q: Will 8-week classes be less work?
A: No, each course is still worth 3 credit hours and will require that amount of work.
Q: Will the quality or the content of Hybrid/Online courses be any different?
A: No. You can expect to receive the same high-quality content you would expect from any Southern course.
Q: How much time should I allow for course work per week?
A: For each course, you should allot approximately 10 hours/week.
Q: Why is the winter semester (JA) different?
A: There will be one break week during this semester for Christmas.
Q: How is the on-campus class schedule different?
A: The Hybrid/Online schedule start and end dates differ from on-campus start and end dates. Students should refer to the schedule above as well as MySBTS for all Hybrid/Online course dates.
Q: When will I be able to register for each term?
A: Registration will open for each term up to the add/drop date set for each term; please refer to Academic Records if you have any questions.
Q: Will I be able to take classes in all six terms?
A: Yes, you can take classes year-round.