Ray Van Neste is assistant professor of Christian studies at Union University in Jackson, Tennessee. He is also and avid reader of children’s books. Below is a list of the “Best Reads” he had with his children in 2011. This list is taken from Dr. Van Neste’s children’s book blog, found here.
- Kingdom’s Hope & Kingdom’s Edge (The Kingdom Series, Book 2 & 3), Chuck Black-We listened to the audio of these and really enjoyed them. You can read my comments on Book 2 here. Book 3 was also quite good. They survey the story of the Bible in the setting of knights.
- Chosen Ones (The Aedyn Chronicles), Alister McGrath—This is a Narnia-like story which is well done with good truths. We eagerly read the second volume when it appeared, but it was not up to the quality of the first.
- Through My Eyes, Tim Tebow with Nathan Whitaker—This was a really good read with the boys- strong on perseverance, hard work, family, trusting God, living for his glory and sharing the gospel.You can see my reviewhere.
- This Was John Calvin, Thea van Halsema—This was a really good biography of the prominent reformer (see review here)
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever- Tammie read it aloud to us again, a Christmas tradition for us. Really good at puncturing religious pomposity and pointing to earthiness and mission (my review from a previous year is here).