- Students desiring admission to the Doctor of Education program must have earned a regionally-accredited Master’s degree totaling no fewer than 48 hours, with at least twelve hours in biblical or theological studies and at least twelve hours in leadership, administration, education, or ministry studies.
- Students having earned a Master’s degree but lacking required hours may complete the additional hours through online or on-campus study at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
- The student must have completed his or her Master’s degree with a minimum grade point average of B+ (3.3 on a 4.0 scale).
Application for Admissions
Submit an application for the Ed.D. program to our Admissions Office. Because the application includes several parts, we recommend that you submit as many parts as you can, as soon as you can. It normally takes a minimum of 1-2 months to turn in all the parts to the application, especially because GRE results and recommendations take time to arrive. Your application must be fully complete in the Admissions Office prior to the stated application deadline to be considered.
The application deadline for matriculation in the summer term is January 15.
After your completed application clears the Admissions Office, the Admissions Office invites qualified applicants to participate in an entrance exam and faculty interview. Students come to campus for one day in which they complete the entrance exam in the morning and then participate in the faculty interview in the afternoon.
Entrance exams are exams designed to give students the opportunity to demonstrate their comprehension of the subject area in which they are applying. You can find more information about the entrance exam here.
Faculty interviews provide our professors the opportunity to interact with students who are applying in their area while allowing students the chance to get to know the faculty. Students should prepare to discuss not only their research interests but also their personal interests.
The entrance exams and interviews will be conducted on the last Friday in February.
Actions Required for Admission
- TOEFL: Non-native English speakers, including those who have graduated from any U.S. school, must submit an official score report of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). TOEFL scores must meet a minimum of 95 for internet-based test (iBT), 233 for computer-based test (CBT) or 575 for paper-based test (PBT).
- GRE: All students must submit an official copy of the GRE score. All test scores must be less than three years old and must be officially submitted to the Admissions Office by January 15 in order to be considered for admission into the following spring/summer term.
- Entrance Exam: Applicants who have completed the application requirements by the appropriate deadline and who are believed to have a reasonable possibility of acceptance may be invited to take the Entrance Exam. The Entrance Exam is offered for Ed.D. applicants in February each year on the campus of Southern Seminary. (Applicants residing outside the contiguous United States should contact the Research Doctoral Studies office for additional testing information.)
- Interview: A member of the faculty in the applicant’s desired area of study will interview each applicant. Applicants who are invited to take the Entrance Exam will be scheduled for their faculty interview on the same day that the Entrance Exam is taken.
- Research paper: A graduate-level research paper in a field related to leadership, education, or ministry be submitted with the application.
- Vita: Students should also include with the application a personal vita, no more than two pages in length, which includes previous academic studies, rationale for doctoral studies, personal goals, area of research interest, and description of current and past ministry responsibilities.
In addition there is precedent literature to review before entering the program.