Veterans Benefits and GI Bill
The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary is an accredited school recognized by the Veterans Administration (VA). Through the VA, entitled veterans may receive financial assistance for education.
In order to certify students for Veterans Benefits, the Financial Aid Office requires the following documents:
- VA form DD-214 (discharge papers; only needed if separated from military)
- VA form 22-1990 or 22-1995 (print completed form before submitting online)
- Certificate of Eligibility (provided by VA after receipt of VA form 22-1990 or 22-1995)
- Initial Disclosures (choose appropriate form): Graduate Students; Doctoral Students
- SBTS Veteran Certification Request Form to be submitted each semester**
**We highly recommend submitting the Veteran Certification Request Form at least one month prior to the opening of billing in order to receive tuition benefits prior to the payment due date. During peak financial aid seasons please allow for two weeks processing from the time your request is submitted to the Financial Aid Office.
How to Get Started With VA
Eligible Veterans are encouraged to apply with the VA using their online application. This will allow you to submit your application electronically for the fastest response. Below are the paper forms that may be submitted in lieu of the online application.
- For GI Bill students who have never received benefits: http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-1990-ARE.pdf
- For GI Bill students who have received benefits at another institution: http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-1995-ARE.pdf
- For dependents of veterans who have never received benefits: http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-5490-ARE.pdf
- For dependents of veterans who have received benefits at another institution: http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-5495-ARE.pdf
Qualifying students should contact their Vocational Rehabilitation counselor who will notify Financial Aid of eligibility. Vocational Rehabilitation students must complete the Veteran Certification Request Form each semester that they intend to use their benefits to request certification.