The Rice-Judson Scholarship honors two Baptist missionaries: Luther Rice and Adoniram Judson. It is the most prestigious and competitive scholarship offered at SBTS and application is available only for entering first semester students. The scholarship is awarded for the first two semesters of studies in the amount of $2,500 for the first year of study ($1,250 per semester).
- Applicant must be a new student who has not previously taken courses at SBTS, either on-campus, online, or by extension center.
- Minimum GPA of 3.5 from all undergraduate institutions attended and all graduate level institutions attended.
- Applicant must be admitted into a master’s-degree program as a full-time student (9+ paid credit hours). Part-time students, continuing students, readmitted students, non-degree seeking students, internet students, and extension center students are not eligible to apply.
- Students must maintain good standing for eligibility. Students on academic probation, academic warning, or disciplinary probation are ineligible.
- Complete or submit the following materials by the financial aid deadline:
- Complete the College Board PROFILE and select “Rice-Judson” on the question asking which scholarship you are applying for. If you are not awarded the Rice-Judson Scholarship, then we will automatically process your Profile application for our General Scholarship.
- Submit essay detailing your ministry and leadership experience to the Financial Aid Office. Mail (do not email) essay to: 2825 Lexington Road, Attention Financial Aid, Louisville, KY 40280 (postmarked by appropriate deadline).
- Submit two letters of recommendation from individuals who can attest to your ministry experience and/or past leadership demonstration to the Financial Aid Office. References should mail recommendations directly to: 2825 Lexington Road, Attention Financial Aid, Louisville, KY 40280 (postmarked by appropriate deadline).
- May 1 (fall applicants)
- December 15 (spring applicants)
*Please note: Not all applicants who meet the minimum eligibility requirements will be selected for the Rice-Judson Scholarship, as it is the most selective scholarship offered at Southern Seminary. All students not selected for the Rice-Judson Scholarship will automatically be considered for the General Scholarship. SBTS students are eligible for only one institutional scholarship per semester; The Rice-Judson Scholarship may not be combined with the need-based General Scholarship.
Learn more about how to apply, including how to obtain a payment code for the College Board PROFILE.